John C. Devic
President, Quality Risk Solutions, LLC
May 2006 to present
- Senior consultant and presenter of nationally recognized Workers’ Compensation and Disability management solutions focused on reducing business insurance costs.
- Senior safety consultant with broad based background in safety auditing, training, industrial hygiene and leadership/culture development.
- Senior environmental consultant providing technical solutions in environmental permitting, reporting, auditing and system development.
Senior Consultant, WNY Area Safety/Environmental Consulting Firm
February 2004 to May 2006
- Senior risk management consultant providing broad based services including safety & health, environmental and Workers’ Compensation and disability management consulting to general industry and insurance providers.
Corporate Director, Environmental, Health & Safety
Collins & Aikman Corporation/Textron Inc., Troy, Michigan
Dec 01 – Jan 04
- Coordinated successful implementation of world class Environmental, Health & Safety, and Workers’ Compensation Management Processes for a $4B Tier one automotive supplier and global leader in cockpit modules, automotive floor and acoustic systems, instrument panels, automotive fabric, plastic-based trim, and convertible top systems with over 25,000 employees operating in 125 facilities located in 15 countries.
- Supervised a technical staff of 10 direct reports along with dotted line authority over 75 plant level EHS/WC professionals.
- Designed and implemented systems to ensure regulatory compliance and complete integration of EHS/WC into the business process.
- Developed and implemented a global EHS Management System incorporating corporate policies and procedures and minimum performance standards to provide both the plants and the corporation with the appropriate framework and minimum standards for how the company will operate.
- Implemented a comprehensive internal audit process combining regulatory compliance, company specific standards, loss prevention and management systems.
- Supervised ISO 14001 registration effort to complete registration at all Manufacturing locations.
- Spearheaded efforts to obtain Clean Corporate Citizen designation from the Michigan DEQ at Collins & Aikman locations (Westland and Manchester Plants).
- Maintained continued improvement in safety performance each year, throughout multiple acquisitions, to current performance levels of 3.4 (TRIR) and .9 (LTIR).
- Developed intercompany EHS/WC web site into a one-stop site for all EHS/WC related business applications and information.
Director, Environmental, Health & Safety
Textron Automotive Trim, Troy, Michigan
Mar 01 – Dec 01
- Responsible for overseeing the EHS/WC process for a $2B Division of Textron Inc. manufacturing cockpit modules, instrument panels and plastic based trim.
- Supervised staff of 3 direct reports and indirectly, over 40 plant level EHS/WC professionals.
- Oversaw management of EHS/WC processes that were routinely benchmarked by other industries, trade associations and the regulatory community. Five separate plants received Industry Week Magazine’s designation as “top ten manufacturing facilities in North America” which encompasses a thorough evaluation of the excellence of the plant’s entire operations.
- Developed an automated chemical accounting system to effectively manage plants’ air permitting, EPCRA and RCRA reporting obligations.
- Developed EHS “Task Manager” web based application to automatically track and notify locations and corporate officials of all regulatory reporting requirements and plant submittal status of those requirements.
Manager, Environmental, Health & Safety
Textron Automotive Trim, Troy, Michigan
Nov 98 – Mar 01
- Primary responsibilities included working closely with the plants to overcome operational issues, and developing plant professionals to successfully manage the EHS/WC processes at each location.
- Developed and implemented pilot process to integrate disability management programs which systematically applies world-class workers’ compensation management systems to all nonoccupational related disabilities.
- Successfully negotiated and revised noncompliant permit issues at 3 PSD permitted facilities while mitigating financial impact to the operating units.
- Assisted in the development and administration of Textron’s “Workers’ Comp Boot Camp” which is a nationally recognized leadingWorkers’ CompensationManagement training tool for both Textron employees and outside company’s Workers’ Compensation professionals.
Division EHS Team Leader
McCord Winn Textron, Manchester, NH
Sep 96 – Nov 98
- Managed the EHS/WC function at the plant (Manchester locations was both a manufacturing facility and Division Headquarters) and Division for the $400M Division of Textron Inc that produced seating comfort systems and washer module assemblies at 2 locations in the US and 2 locations in the UK
- Developed and implemented systems to achieve EHS regulatory compliance and build the foundation for effective Workers’ Compensation management
- Instituted programs and a philosophy change to drive the Division’s recordable injury rate from 18 to 2 during my 2 year assignment
- Led a corporate wide team to develop, trial and implement a new accounting system for Workers’ Compensation costs. The new accounting system, and effective management programs, allowed the Division to realize over $1M of reserved, previously booked costs, back to income
Environmental & Safety Engineer
Bell Aerospace Textron, Wheatfield, NY
Jun 91 – Sep 96
- Managed the EHS function at a location of the Textron Defense Systems Division of Textron Inc. which manufactured flight and gravity sensing equipment
- Primary project manager for a $10M RCRA Corrective Action Remediation of contaminated groundwater at the location.
- The Bell Aerospace RCRA Corrective Action became a model for the NYSDEC to instruct other sites on the proper way to work through the Corrective Action and Part B permit process
Environmental, Safety & Process Engineer
Schaffstall Manufacturing Company, Inc., North Collins, NY
Apr 88 – Jun 91
- Responsible for all environmental and safety matters at a 300 employee contract sheet metal stamper, painter and assembler
- Additionally supervised production departments of up to 30 employees in a unionized environment
- Investigated and developed a spray booth filtration system and solvent distillation generating savings of over $100,000 annually
Summary of Qualifications
- State University of New York at Buffalo – Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering - 1987
- Michigan State University – Eli Broad School of Management Executive Development Programs – New Traditions Leadership Program - 2002
- Over 16 years of Industrial work experience with assignments of progressive responsibility
- Well rounded technical knowledge base with background and relevant environmental experience in air permitting (Title 5 and PSD permit experience), RCRA, NPDES and stormwater, spill prevention, EPCRA, TSCA, Storage Tanks, DOT coupled with a broad knowledge of worker safety, employee health and medical issues and equipment safeguarding.
- Innovative thinker with emphasis on sustaining business profitability while building world class EHS and Workers’ Compensation Management Processes